New Guy from Baton Rouge

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by _Kaiser, Mar 30, 2015.

1. _Kaiser

_Kaiser
    Expand Collapse

Was posting on Reddit about good country roads to drive on when someone mentioned this club. You can call me by the forum name "Kaiser" or if you would rather use my real name, "Zane".

I am just a regular college student with a part time job but my hobby, aside from videogames and Top Gear, is driving and working on my 2007 Silverado Classic 1500. There's really not much to say about me on a car forum. I was a stupid teenager during my first driving days but I've learned to rub two brain cells together and be a better, responsible driver. But this is a car forum, y'all are probably more interested in trucks than life lessons.

Never really done much offroad because my 2007 Silverado is 2WD and not too great at handling mud. In fact most of the modifications are appearance partly because I don't know whether I'll actually race and use performance parts for what they're made for. When I feel like I have enough experience in rally or offroad driving then I'll see about perfomance parts.

My grandpa originally owned the Silverado then I inherited it after he passed away. This was his build:

[​IMG]

This is what the truck look like after I chose a build more to my taste.

[​IMG]

Unfortunately, someone decided to cut me off in an insurance scam and the truck is well... its not exactly in a great state. But I got a dashcam so such a thing shouldn't happen again.

In any case, I hope to meet other pickup fans on this site and learn how to properly drive off road as well as handy mechanic tips. Forgot to mention, I don't plan on selling this truck anytime in my life. People ask me if I'm selling but I'm not. Its gonna be my pickup tomorrow, and still gonna be until the day I die.

If anyone has any questions fell free to ask.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, my truck build is a work in progress. The last picture is not the final build I want. There was a lot more work to do during the time of the pic, the accident pushed all my work back so plenty to do on the build.

2. Tookie

Tookie
    Expand Collapse
    Tookie LeBlanc

Welcome, Nice truck! If you hang around us much, don't be surprised if
    you start looking for a 4X4 :D

freshmeat likes this.
  3. freshmeat

freshmeat
    Expand Collapse
    One day at a time...
    Staff Member Supporting Member

Welcome to the forum- nice truck! It looks like a great tow rig for a YJ! Haha

4. _Kaiser

_Kaiser
    Expand Collapse

I'll convert my pickup if I want a 4x4. Chevy trucks are pretty much bolt on conversions from what I've heard.

It is actually great at towing but I don't have a trailer anymore.

5. SAS'ed '91 Chevy

SAS'ed '91 Chevy
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran Member

Having been down this road for some time and having started my build in college it's much easier and cheaper to buy a beater that is already equipped. I started my build as a broke college student with a motor swap and continued and then went solid axle about 3 years later after I bought my first house. Let's just say these sorts of build morph into never ending projects. If this is thing kind of thing you like go for it if not...
    :dunno:

6. _Kaiser

_Kaiser
    Expand Collapse

By never ending projects I assume you mean how many steps you have to do in the process. I shouldn't need to cut away the fenders or any modifications, just bolt on a conversion kit since Chevrolet uses the same frame for most of the pickups.

Maintaining it shouldn't be much of an issue. Maintainence is already a never ending project with Chevrolet.

If I do a conversion, it'll be after I modified the engine and finish truck appearance.